World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Antonio Correr

Antonio Correr (July 15, 1369 – January 19, 1445) was the son of Filippo Correr and Cassandra Venier. He was Cardinal-nephew of Gregory XII, Pope of the Roman Obedience in the period of the Great Western Schism, eldest brother of Filippo Correr. He was also cousin of Pope Eugene IV, son of his father Filippos sister Bariola and Angelo Condulmer. His last name is listed also as Corrario and Corraro.

Born in Venice, he was one of the founders of the Congregation of the Augustinian Canons Regular of S. Giorgio in Alga in his native city of Venice. In 1405 he was named bishop of Modon, but two years later his uncle Gregory XII transferred him to the see of Bologna. He could not take possession of the latter see due to opposition of Cardinal Baldassare Cossa (later Antipope John XXIII), who did not recognized his nomination, because he considered Gregory XII an antipope. On May 9, 1408 Antonio was created Cardinal Priest of San Pietro in Vincoli by his uncle and few month later was promoted to Cardinal Bishop of Porto. He was also administrator of the see of Fiesole (1408–10) and Latin Patriarch of Constantinople (1408–09). He also was Camerlengo of the Holy Roman Church from 1406 until July 1415. Antonio attended the Council of Constance as representative of the Roman Obedience of the Sacred College. He participated in the Papal conclave, 1417. Archpriest of the patriarchal Vatican Basilica 1420–1434, he served also as papal legate in Perugia (1425) and in Tuscany (1431). Antonio was administrator of the sees of Cittanova (1420–21), Rimini (1435) and Cervia (1435–40). He participated in the Papal conclave, 1431. New pope Eugene IV (his cousin) transferred him to the suburbicarian see of Ostia e Velletri on March 14, 1431. He became Dean of the Sacred College of Cardinals at the death of Giordano Orsini on May 29, 1438. Author of an unpublished history of his times, he died at Padua, but his remains were transferred to Venice and buried in the church of S. Giorgio in Alga.

External links

  • Biography

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.