World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Clark Monroe's Uptown House

Article Id: WHEBN0017246767
Reproduction Date:

Title: Clark Monroe's Uptown House  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Charlie Parker, List of jazz clubs
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Clark Monroe's Uptown House

Clark Monroe's Uptown House, sometimes shortened to Monroe's Uptown House or simply Monroe's, was a nightclub in New York City. Along with Minton's Playhouse, it was one of the two principal clubs in the early history of bebop jazz.

Clark Monroe opened the Uptown House in the 1930s at 198 West 134th St in Harlem, in a building which formerly held Barron's Club (where Duke Ellington worked early in the 1920s) and the Theatrical Grill. From the late 1930s the club presented swing jazz; Billie Holiday held a residence there for three months in 1937. In the early 1940s the club became known for its jam sessions, where many of the players involved in the birth of bebop played together. Al Tinney led Monroe's house band, which included Max Roach, Little Benny Harris, George Treadwell, and Victor Coulsen. Charlie Parker was a featured soloist at the club in 1943.

An important live recording of Charlie Christian features a jam "session at Monroes".

Monroe moved the club to 52nd Street in 1943, and opened a second club, The Spotlite, in December 1944.

See also

References

  • "Clark Monroe's Uptown House", "Nightclubs and Other Venues", "Al Tinney". Grove Jazz online.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.