World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cumberland Terrace

Article Id: WHEBN0001882690
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cumberland Terrace  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sir Edward Hamilton, 1st Baronet, Regent's Park, UK Wikipedians' notice board/Listed buildings, Housing in London, Regency architecture
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cumberland Terrace

Cumberland Terrace
Cumberland Terrace, London

Cumberland Terrace is a neoclassical Duke of Cumberland.

The Terrace was built by William Mountford Nurse, with James Thomson serving as resident architect, and was completed in 1826. It consists of three main blocks, linked by decorative arches with typical neoclassical style and grandeur. The central block includes a large sculptural pediment above a long colonnade of Ionic columns.

Cumberland Terrace remains in residential use. Originally comprising 31 houses, parts have been converted into flats but many houses are still separate family homes. This first resident, William Mountford Nurse, moved into the terrace in 1828; the building was not fully occupied until 1836.

The Terrace was used as a location for the filming of The Invasion (Doctor Who) in 1968.

See also

External links

  • Notes, photographs and maps
  • Lost and hidden villas
  • Doctor Who Locations - Cumberland Terrace
  • History, Historical Illustrations

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.