World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dominican School Manila

Article Id: WHEBN0035205888
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dominican School Manila  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: España railway station, Dominican College of Tarlac, Aquinas University, Dominican Order
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dominican School Manila

Dominican School Manila, founded in 1958, is a private school run by Dominican nuns. It is located at A.H. Lacson St., Sampaloc, Manila. The school is located near the University of Santo Tomas.

History

The school was founded in June 1958 by the Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic in response to the need to provide Catholic education to the children who live in the vicinity of UST, particularly its employees. Under the leadership of Sr. Jesus Ibargoitia, the superior of Sta. Catalina Girls' Dormitory and Sr. Esperanza Melgar, the secretary general, a two-room structure was constituted in May 1958.

A month later, the school opened St. Dominic's Kindergarten School with 79 boys and girls as enrollees. The rooms had all the facilities needed for the children to know and develop their skill and knowledge. To fulfill its mission of proving good Catholic education, its curriculum has religion as its core with Christ as the center. Their devotion to Christ and Mary was awakened and strengthened through religious activities.

In 1963, this structure was demolished to give way to the construction of a two-storey concrete building that can accommodate pupls from Kindergarten to Grade IV. From a thousand pupils in 1964, its population in 1996 increased.

In 1967, the school was changed to Dominican School, the name by which all congregation-owned schools are known in compliance with a directive of the DRMSD chapter of 1965. That year was marked by further improvements in the school's academic standard and engagement in an outreach program of providing catechetical institution to public school children in the neighborhood on Sundays. Towards the end of 1973, the school erected 18 classrooms more.

A community of sisters who will manage the school solely was also created between 1976 and 1979. Prior to this, the school and the Sta. Catalina Girl's Dormitory (now Sta. Catalina Ladies' Residence) were managed as one.

In 1987, the administrative building was renovated into a four-storey building with a building with a gymnasium at top floor. It also provided adequate living quarters for the Dominican community.

To meet the demand for better education, the administration and faculty members made various changes in the school curriculum. Aware of its responsibility as an agent for change, DS opted for the harder task of aiming at the emergence of a new Filipino, equipped with functional knowledge, desirable values, attitudes and habits and skills necessary to cope and creatively participate in the improvement of the quality of life for themselves and others.

On October 14, 1996, the cornerstone for a three-storey building was laid. The building housed the school canteen and other offices.

More equipment and materials were procured for the use of the pupils and the staff. Academic programs were evaluated and revised. Assignments and teaching loads were also examined to find out whether the pupils were receiving the best instruction.

Additional personnel for the library, guidance office, canteen and teaching staff were also hired. DS continues to improve its facilities, and its academic program inspired by St. Dominic and guided by their shared mission of promoting the integral formation of the youths.

DS can boast of a seven - storey building for the students in High School starting S.Y. 2006–07. This is in response of the request of the parents and pupils who wanted to finish their basic education in their alma mater.

Notable alumni

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.