World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Drybridge

Article Id: WHEBN0008007341
Reproduction Date:

Title: Drybridge  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ayrshire, Moray, Drybridge railway station, River Irvine, List of megaliths
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Drybridge

Drybridge is a village in North Ayrshire, Scotland. Drybridge is thus named because of the "dry bridge" over the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway, opened in 1812. The nearby "wet bridge" is the Laigh Milton Viaduct, the oldest surviving railway bridge in Scotland and possibly the world.

Standing stone

The standing stone at Stane Field (NS 359 364), Drybridge, is the only one recorded for this local authority area. It stands close to the old railway station. This standing stone is on level ground in a field of young crop at about 20 m OD. It has a maximum height of 2.6 m, and as stated, is roughly square with a girth of about 4.0 m and a maximum width of 1.3 m. A perforated stone axe head was found nearby. In this area are a cursus, henge, several sites of flint flake deposits and a twin concentric circle structure.

Facilities

The small school stood near the Shewalton East Lodge. It belonged to trustees, but was offered for use by Captain Boyle of Shewalton. The school at Dundonald was overcrowded and the school is opened in 1879 after considerable alterations with Mr. McKissock and Miss Miller as teachers.[1] The school has been demolished having been used as a pallet store for many years.

Shewalton had a 'Mission Station' in 1837, probably at Drybridge and the mother church was Dundonald.[2]

Drybridge is a very basic village with few facilities.a village hall, post box, phone box and recycling facilities. There used to be a school/church here, which spent many years as a pallet makers workshop and store before recently being replaced by houses. The scrap-yard in the old station goods yard is now closed (2008).

The railway which the "dry bridge" carried still exists and is still in use; Drybridge station has been converted into housing. Although the platforms survive, trains no longer stop at Drybridge station.

Micro-history

Shewalton House stood nearby, demolished between the wars and an industrial estate built on part of the estate.

References

Notes
Sources
  1. Gillespie, James H. (1939). Dundonald. A Contribution to parochial History. Glasgow : John Wylie & Co.

Coordinates: 57°38′N 2°56′W / 57.633°N 2.933°W / 57.633; -2.933

Template:North Ayrshire

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.