World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

DuQuoin State Fairgrounds Racetrack

Article Id: WHEBN0005617590
Reproduction Date:

Title: DuQuoin State Fairgrounds Racetrack  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ed Carpenter (racing driver), Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis, Memphis International Raceway, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Pocono Raceway
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

DuQuoin State Fairgrounds Racetrack

DuQuoin State Fairgrounds Racetrack
Location DuQuoin, Illinois
Time zone GMT-6
Opened 1946
Major events ARCA RE/MAX Series
Southern Illinois 100
USAC Silver Crown Series
Oval
Surface Clay
Length 1 mi (1.6 km)
Turns 4

DuQuoin State Fairgrounds Racetrack is a one-mile (1.6-km) clay oval motor racetrack in Du Quoin, Illinois, about 90 miles (140 km) southeast of St Louis, Missouri. It is a stop on the ARCA and USAC Silver Crown tours.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Race Winners 2
    • AAA/USAC Champ Car race winners 2.1
    • ARCA Remax Series 2.2
  • External links 3

History

The DuQuoin State Fair was founded in 1923 by local businessman William R. "W.R." Hayes, who owned the fair and ran it. (It did not become run by the state of Illinois as a true "state fair" until the 1980s; it is now officially called the Illinois State Fair in DuQuoin, as opposed to the longtime one at state capital Springfield.) At the start Hayes had a half-mile harness-racing track on his 30-acre site, with wooden grandstands that seated 3000. In 1939 Hayes started buying adjoining stripmined land to develop its potential as parkland, replanting it and turning the strip pits into family-friendly ponds and lakes. He eventually expanded his little fairgrounds into 1200 acres.

The DuQuoin "Magic Mile" racetrack was constructed on reclaimed stripmine land in 1946 by W.R. Hayes. The track's first national championship race was held in September 1948. In the second race on October 10, popular AAA National driving champion Ted Horn was killed in the fourth turn when a spindle on his championship car broke. The national championship race for the USAC Silver Crown dirt cars is held in his honor.

In 1957 the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds became the third longtime home of the Hambletonian, America's premier harness racing event (established 1926). The Hambletonian was run on a smaller oval track completely inside the Magic Mile track. The grandstands and bleachers were expanded to seat 18,000. When the Hambletonian left DuQuoin after 1980 to be raced at the Meadowlands, the Fair became the home of the World Trotting Derby. This race was held from 1981 until it was discontinued after the 2009 race. The smaller oval was planted over with grass, and trotting still takes place back at the old oval. Both off-track and on-track betting are allowed.

Music concerts are also held at the track, especially during the state fair (in 2012 from August 25 through Labor Day, September 3). The stage is at center at the foot of the grandstand, backed up against the protective cyclone fence that shields the stands from the track.

Race Winners

External links

  • Official DuQuoin State Fair Website
  • Track Enterprises Website


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.