World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

German Imperial Naval Office

 

German Imperial Naval Office

The German Imperial Naval Office (German: Reichsmarineamt) was a government office in the German Empire. In April, 1889 what had been the German Imperial Admiralty was abolished and its duties divided among three new entities: the Imperial Naval High Command (Kaiserliches Oberkommando der Marine), the Imperial Naval Office and the German Imperial Naval Cabinet (Kaiserliches Marinekabinett). The head of the Naval Office was a Secretary of State who reported directly to the imperial chancellor (Reichskanzler).

After 1897, the Office became the power base of Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz in his campaign to build a great German battle fleet.

The Imperial Naval Office had the function of a ministry for the German Imperial Navy. According to the Constitution of the German Empire of 1871, the states were responsible for land forces and the imperial government for the navy. So while there were Prussian, Bavarian, Saxon and Württemberg armies, there was a single Imperial Navy.

The tasks of the Imperial Naval Office were mainly administrative, such as planning naval construction and maintenance programs, directing the procurement of naval supplies, and representing the navy in the Reichstag.[1] It was responsible to the chancellor and under the direct command of Emperor Wilhelm II. The Naval Office advised the Reichstag on naval matters. During the First World War, it gave out the casualty list of the Imperial Navy. Until 1899 the operational management of the Imperial Navy was the responsibility of the German Imperial Naval High Command (Kaiserliches Oberkommando der Marine).

State Secretaries of the Naval Office

  • Ernst Karl August Klemens von Mann October 1918 – December 1918
  • Maximilian Rogge December 1918 – February 1919

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.