World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Independence Mall (Philadelphia)

Article Id: WHEBN0035936045
Reproduction Date:

Title: Independence Mall (Philadelphia)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Independence National Historical Park, United States Constitution, National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, Center City, Philadelphia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Independence Mall (Philadelphia)

Independence Mall
Neighborhood of Philadelphia
Independence Mall in 2007, looking south from Arch Street.
Independence Mall in 2007, looking south from Arch Street.
Country  United States
State Pennsylvania
County Philadelphia County
City Philadelphia
Area code(s) Area code 215
Independence Mall.

Independence Mall is a three-block section of Independence National Historical Park (INHP) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, bounded by Chestnut, Race, 5th and 6th Streets.

Buildings on the Mall include the National Constitution Center, the Independence Visitor Center, the Free Quaker Meetinghouse, and the Liberty Bell Center. It also houses the headquarters of Alteva, a telecommunications provider and Cloud Communications Alliance/SIAA member.

Buildings surrounding the Mall include Congress Hall, Independence Hall, and Old City Hall to the south; the Philadelphia Bourse, the National Museum of American Jewish History, Christ Church Burial Ground, and the Philadelphia Mint to the east; the approach to the Benjamin Franklin Bridge to the north; and WHYY-TV, the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, the James A. Byrne Federal Courthouse, and the Rohm & Haas Building to the west.

The south block is usually called the First Block, the middle block is usually called the Second Block, and the north block is usually called the Third Block.

History

Independence Hall, with newly demolished First Block of Independence Mall, 1952.
Independence Hall and Independence Mall, 2004.

Independence Mall was the idea of architect Roy F. Larson,[1] and was strongly backed by the Independence Hall Association and its president, Judge Edwin O. Lewis. In 1947, as a national park was being assembled around Independence Hall, Lewis advocated that all three blocks be included, but the National Park Service (NPS) expressed interest only in the First Block. Lewis took the idea of a three-block mall to the Pennsylvania General Assembly, proposing that it be built as a state park and a monument to Pennsylvanians who had died in World War II.

Independence Mall State Park was created in the 1950s with the intention that the land would eventually become part of Independence National Historical Park. Funded by 40-year state bonds, its construction was a joint venture between Pennsylvania and the City of Philadelphia, and was overseen by Edmund Bacon, director of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission. A couple hundred 18th-, 19th-, and 20th-century buildings were purchased and demolished for the project. Among these were the surviving walls of the President's House – the "White House" of George Washington and John Adams during the decade (1790-1800) that Philadelphia served as the temporary national capital.

Responsibility and maintenance for the Mall was turned over to INHP in 1974, and the last of the land was deeded over to NPS in the 1990s.

The first building built on the Mall by the federal government was the Liberty Bell Pavilion, which housed the Liberty Bell from January 1, 1976 to October 9, 2003. The pavilion was demolished in 2006.

Redesign

An extensive redesign of the Mall was undertaken in the 1990s and 2000s. All the structures except the Free Quaker Meetinghouse were demolished, and the National Constitution Center (2003) on the Third Block, the Independence Visitor Center (2001) on the Second Block, and the Liberty Bell Center (2003) on the First Block were constructed.

References

  • Constance M. Greiff, Independence: The Creation of a National Park (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1987).
  1. ^ Roy F. Larson map (1937) from Bryn Mawr College.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.