World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Évora

Article Id: WHEBN0015690970
Reproduction Date:

Title: Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Évora  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of Roman Catholicism in Portugal, List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Évora

Archdiocese of Evora
Archiodioecesis Eborensis
Cathedral of Évora
Location
Country Portugal
Information
Rite Latin Rite
Established 4th century
Cathedral Cathedral of Évora
Current leadership
Pope
Archbishop José Francisco Sanches Alves
Suffragans Beja
Faro

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Évora (Latin: Archidioecesis Eborensis) has Évora Cathedral as its see. It has as suffragans the diocese of Beja and diocese of Faro.[1] The current Archbishop of Evora is José Francisco Sanches Alves.

History

Évora was raised to archiepiscopal rank in 1544, at which time it was given as suffragans the diocese of Leiria and diocese of Portalegre; in 1570 and later were added the diocese of Silves, diocese of Ceuta, diocese of Congo, diocese of São Tomé, diocese of Funchal, diocese of Cabo Verde, and diocese of Angra.

Its bishop, Quintianus, was present at the Council of Elvira early in the fourth century. There exists no complete list of his successors for the next two centuries, though some are known from ancient diptychs. In 584 the Visigothic king, Leovirgild, incorporated with his state the Kingdom of the Suevi, to which Évora had hitherto belonged. From the sixth and seventh centuries there remain a few Christian inscriptions pertaining to Évora. In one of them has been interpolated the name of a Bishop Julian (1 December, 566); he is, however, inadmissible. Thenceforth the episcopal list is known from the reign of Reccared (586) to the Islamic invasion (714), after which the succession is quite unknown for four centuries and a half, with the exception of the epitaph of a Bishop Daniel (January, 1100).

Until the reconquest (1166) by Afonso I of Portugal, Évora was suffragan to the archdiocese of Mérida. Under this king it became suffragan to the archdiocese of Braga, despite the protests of the Archbishops of Compostella, administrators of Mérida. In 1274, however, the latter succeeded in bringing Évora within their jurisdiction. Finally, it became suffragan to the archdiocese of Lisbon from 1394 to 1544, when it was made an archbishopric.

Among its archbishops were:

  • Henry of Portugal (1540-64, 1578-80), the founder of the University of Évora and King of Portugal (1578-80)
  • Teotónio de Braganza (1570-1602)
  • the scholarly writers Afonso de Portugal (1486-1522) and Father Manuel do Cenáculo de Vilas-Boas (1802-14).

Portuguese writers have maintained that the first bishop of Évora was St. Mantius, a Roman, and a disciple of Jesus Christ, sent by the Apostles into the Iberian Peninsula as a missionary of the Gospel.[2]

Notes

public domain: 

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.