World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Schola cantorum (papal choir)

Article Id: WHEBN0001778034
Reproduction Date:

Title: Schola cantorum (papal choir)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: San Giorgio in Velabro, Music school, Pope John XIII, Cantor (Christianity), Scholae
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Schola cantorum (papal choir)

The Schola cantorum was the trained papal choir during the Middle Ages, specializing in the performance of plainchant. Although legend associates them with the papacy of Gregory the Great, there is no historical evidence to support this claim. The Schola is attested in historical records beginning in the 8th century, possibly beginning under Pope Sergius I. They played a significant and contentious role in the transmission of Roman chant to the Carolingian court of Charlemagne, where the fusion of Roman and Gallican chant evolved into what we now know as Gregorian chant.

Between the years 876 and 1073, the prior of the Schola is recorded to have performed a curious dance with clearly pagan origins known as Cornomania, on the Saturday following Easter, on the Lateran Square in Rome. He would wear a wreath with horns on his head, swing a rattle with bells, scatter laurel leaves, and cry out in an unknown language, "Iaritan, iaritan, iariariasti; raphayn, iercoin, iariariasti". [1]

Several institutions have modeled themselves after the medieval Schola, including the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis of Basel and the Schola Cantorum de Paris.

Sources

  1. ^ F. Schneider, Rom und Romgedanke im Mittelalter (Munich, 1926), cited in H. St. L. B. Moss, The Birth of the Middle Ages (Oxford, 1935), p. 263.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.