World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

St. Andrews Major

Article Id: WHEBN0006356768
Reproduction Date:

Title: St. Andrews Major  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Barry Island, St Andrew (disambiguation), Villages in the Vale of Glamorgan, Ystradowen, Cosmeston Lakes Country Park
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

St. Andrews Major

St Andrew's Major church

St. Andrew's Major (Barry and Cardiff in south-eastern Wales.

The village has a church which is over 600 years old and a primary school. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is in the Benefice of St. Andrews Major and Michaelston-le-Pit. Back in the early 19th century the house just past the Church used to be a coaching inn, but the local Lord of the Manor had it closed down as all of his farm labourers were spending their wages in there and not getting any work done (according to local history). The property is now a private residence. There is now no pub in the village these days

In 1891 the village had a population of 1149 people, although now it is simply a small hamlet with less than 150 residents.

Geography

The surrounding soil of the parish is a strong, brown, dry earth, well adapted for grain of all kinds. The substratum of the whole is Sully, which lie between St. Andrew's and the channel.

The Church

At the east end of the north aisle, parallel with the chancel, is a private chapel, anciently the property and burial-place of a respectable family, named Rowel, long since extinct, and the Bouville family who were owners of a great part of the parish. In the floor of this chapel there is a stone bearing an inscription of the tombs of a couple who had both lived extremely long lives:

Here lyeth the body of John Gibbon James, buried the 14 of August, 1601. And Margaret Mathew, his wife, buried the 8 of January, 1631. He aged ninety-nine, she aged one hundred and twenty-four.

John Wesley is reputed to have preached from the pulpit.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 



Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from World Library are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.